A Beautiful Resistance, #2
Our second issue of A Beautiful Resistance will enter the world Beltane, 2016. We’re very pleased to announce that it be edited&curated by Lancashire poet, author, and awenydd Lorna Smithers.
Interested in contributing?
The submission period for the Summer issue opens January 1st, 2016 and ends March 1st, 2016.
If your piece may need some input or re-working, please consider submitting it earlier; this will make it more likely we’ll have time to work with you!
Work we’re looking for
A Beautiful Resistance (#1): Everything We Already Are brought Pagans together around Samhain’s dark fires to identify the horrors of capitalism and share hopes of liberation. The songs we forgot were sung. Capitalism was confronted in the winter of our world. We revealed ways of manifesting the unseen, opposed joy to the machine and discussed apocalypse and everything after. The issue ended with a call to ‘create the world we want now’.
A Beautiful Resistance #2 will be published at Beltane. As last year’s seeds burst through capitalism’s cracked pavements and voices of our radical ancestors rise with the energy of our greening land and wild gods, we seek to build on the work of issue #1.
We’re looking for essays, poetry, prose, images, stories, journalism, reviews and rituals dismantling capitalism and creating the world we want now. Embracing Beltane’s dance of new life, love and sexuality we want new myths and foliate prophecies to guide us as psychopomps to the death of capitalism and mid-wives to the birth of a new world.
The title of issue #2 will grow organically from the work we receive and we’re looking forward to your input 🙂
- Prose: 1000 – 6000 words.
- Poetry: 150 lines max.
We would love to see more photographs, paintings, drawings and other graphics. We’ll be publishing in color. Images need to be at least 300 dpi.
Please check out the first issue and / or the Gods&Radicals website to get a feel for what we publish before submitting.
Gods&Radicals will need “first printing rights,” which is to say, we’ll need the right to print your work and be the first to have done so.
You’ll maintain all other rights. That is, the work is yours, you can do whatever you like with it. You only grant us permission to publish it in the Journal. And because we won’t be asking for exclusive rights, you can post it anywhere you like—just make sure anyone else who prints it knows you gave us first rights.
Previously published work is okay, if it’s not appeared in print. That is, if you’ve posted it on a blog or other online site, that’s quite okay! But if someone else has been given rights to print it, that causes weird legal battles and, well…yeah.
Yes! Gods&Radicals is a non-profit Pagan Anti-Capitalist publisher being run as close to possible to a worker’s collective. Contributors receive an equal share of 50% post-cost revenue.
How Do I Send you My Work?
Please read all of the following carefully. Because we received over 100 submissions for our first issue and expect to receive many more for the second and are a very, very small operation, following these instructions will make life a lot easier on us!
Send us an email at
with the following:
- Your preferred name
- The length and name of your piece (if words)
- Whether the piece is previously posted
- Whether you’re currently submitting it elsewhere, too.
- What country you live in (we’ve an international audience)
- Please put the word JOURNAL in the subject heading.
- Please do not submit more than two pieces.
- Only send writing as an attachment. We do not have time to follow links to peruse your body of work, though it’s probably all really awesome!
- Very important! Please, please, do not submit the piece in the body of your email. Email creates formatting nightmares, and we’re all about dreams here.
- Please send your piece as a text-document, preferably .odt, though .doc or .docx works okay.
- Do not send .pdf.
- We like the Oxford comma. We now only use one space after periods.
- Also! Try to leave out all unnecessary formatting.
- As above—please send as an attachment. Most image formats are acceptable—if we can’t access it, we’ll let you know.
- All images MUST be at least 300dpi.
- We’ll also need to know the name of the image, and if it’s color, if a b&w version is also available.
We’d like a 25-50 word contributor bio. These aren’t easy to write, so let us know if you need help with it. Include it in your email.
We’ll try to acknowledge that we’ve gotten your piece within a few days of receiving it. If we get a particularly large amount of submissions on any particular day, it may take us up to a week to tell you this.
Feel free to check in with us if it’s been 7 full days since you emailed us.
Please make sure you put JOURNAL in the subject line! For a small little anti-capitalist Pagan site, we sure receive a lot of email.
We’ll tell you whether or not your piece is initially selected by March 30th, 2016.
And thank you!